Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Passionate Contracts by Ursula Kelly

This is a provocative article that many of us beginning teachers will be able to relate to. It discusses the pedagogies we are taught in our program and the conflicts we will (or already have) discovered in current secondary classrooms.

Some major points to think about and interesting excerpts:
  • Education and change are political.
    • "This chapter focuses on the contentious and deeply sedimented relationships of power, knowledge, desire, and identity, as they are constituted within beginning teachers themselves, as a means to examine how - and in what ways - change might be possible" (Kelly 57).
    • "The dynamics of knowledge, power, desire, and identity [are] embodied relations" (58)
  • Two current approaches to teacher education:
    • A portfolio - "A technicist base and is developed to provide beginning teachers an array of 'methods' by which to implement the current curriculum" (58-59).
    • An ideal - "Ignores the existence of curricular direction and professional practices, proceeding with advances in English as if the status quo did not exist" (59).
  • Romanticized English:
    • "How are such romanticized notions or 'impossible dreams' of English become ; dreams of the possible' within English" (60)?
    • "We fall in and out of love with knowledge" (60).
  • Geography of English
    • The reasons we teach wanted to teach English - "rhetorical-functional, aesthetic-cultural, ethical-progressive, and political-critical" (61).
    • "English is not a construct, not a given or an essence' and the construct of English is not monolithic" (62).
    • "Contradiction is the fertile seedbed of change" (62).
    • "These competing versions of English are deeply political; they are about relations of power and the extent to which they are sanctioned reiterated, and challenged through subject English" (63).
  • Reconstituted English
    • "Effectively sidelined by such foci, however, is a concern for what education is about and how its normative preoccupations and daily enactments, to the exclusion of other concerns, can be obstacles to visions and versions of change" (65).
    • "Without the support to become the teachers they are learning they want to be, these beginning teachers of English may learn that there is little space in which to negotiate the differences such insights accrue for the classroom. In this lesson, desire begets vexation, and vexation erodes hope and curtains the spirit. No number of exciting new techniques for maintaining the very old status quo are of solace here" (65).
Finally, "Teacher education based on exploration, experimentation, and critical inquiry cannot flourish in such compromised circumstance - nor can the well-informed dreams of beginning teachers" (66).

I hope this article spoke to you and you could connect with the content of the article. How can we change our program (or simply our approach to the program) to brace us for the conflicting messages we will all encounter when we begin student teaching.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Charm, this is a terrific overview of Kelly...I love her claim that NO pedagogies are "innocent" and all are "regulatory."

Do add a post where you analyze how you see your own teacher education in light of Kelly's critique. Karen

Rachel said...

I think that I like the idea that we fall in and out of love with knowledge. It is quite a provacative notion, and yet who knows its truth better than a college student? We are here for "higher education" and yet would like nothing more than to be outside on sunny days and in bed on cold ones, just like normal people. Where is our idealistic drive? Where is that fire for education and the fascination with life that should feed it? I don't know that I've ever felt that inspired by something in school, from primary up to graduate.
So I have to ask myself why that is. It can't be the content, because in college I chose my major, and my courses, and generally speaking my entire schedule. And it can't be MY fault - heavens no.
So what is it? Friedman talks about the drive of students in places like India; of a self-sacrificing thirst to achieve and learn all that there is to know. I can honestly admit that I am not only frightened by that passion, but also extremely jealous of it. Complacency is an uncomfortable pill to swallow, especially when you know it will eventually kill you (or your society, in this case). And I look at my students, in whose faces I see reflected the same thoughts I have harboured about school (not particularly positive ones). I mean, sure, occasionally we can all get into something and really get interested for a chunk of time, but then the interest just melts away. And I am frusterated by this, because I know what they're feeling. It isn't even enough of a feeling to be boredom. It takes thought to realize you're bored. These kids, and occasionally myself when I am in class, aren't even to that basic level of interest expenditure. They're just - there. So I guess the point of this long ramble is this - I know that there is stuff I want to know, and I know that there is stuff I need to know (a general situation that applies to all, I think). So how come I can't get more excited about the process of knowing it?