Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Reflection on the NYSCATE Experience 2006 - Final Project

Here's the URL for those of you who would like to check out mine and Tracie's website reflecting our experience at the NYSCATE seminar.

I definitely became more adept at working on a website and was able work with iMovie and iPhoto more. Most importantly, I learned how crucial and timely the conversation is that we have been having in 506. Though many of us have not seen a lot of these technologies and ideas in action in classrooms, I think that time may be coming soon...even if we are the ones to introduce it!

I would like to learn if there is a way to compress an iMovie to fit on the web, without making the Quicktime viewer only a few inches big. I would also like to learn how to filter out background noise in movies when you only have one integrated file from a digital camera. Is that possible? A few of our movie clips were a little hard to hear/understand because we could not find a way to separate the audio to delete other people's voices and/or background noise.

I can see any student creating a website to reflect what they have learned in almost any given unit. It would be a nice alternative to a poster or paper as a culminating project. They could work on it throughout the unit to use it to solidify their understanding of the topic. They could also link a blog to the site, which would facilitate communication among the students and teacher. A website can be tailored to suit so many different purposes and needs, the possibilities are almost endless.

I would like to add more examples of how each of the workshops' tips could be tailored to the secondary ELA classroom. As we discussed during our presentation, a few of the workshops seemed more applicable to the younger age range, but I am sure that if we put our minds to it we could find ways to alter them to work for us and our colleagues.

Not that this is possible now, I wish that we had taken more pictures and more footage, but with technical difficulties it was impossible at the time.

Let me know what you guys thought.

P.S. Larissa, the grant page was just for you! There appears to be a lot of assistance to be had, as long as you know where to look.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Charm,
Sorry to have to try to get in touch with you this way. Unfortunately, the teacher found someone before I could get your information to her. The good news is that I gave your information to her and another English teacher I work with for future reference. I'm sorry it didn't work out. Also, I gave away my copy of your information. I'll get it back from her Friday. I'm so sorry it didn't work out. I will keep promoting you to the English Department. Hope we'll see each other soon. My email address is sarahostrom@hotmail.com

James said...

Tracie/ Charm,

Your website is excellent. It’s like I’m actually there. Everything is documented so nicely, and it was a great idea to incorporate the video. Excellent presentation in class, even if you were somewhat rushed.

You should try to get in touch with the people who run the official NYSCATE web site. Their conference page totally sucks. Yours is so much more informative, and gives you a sense of what it’s all about. It would be a good promotional move for them to at least link to your site.

-James

Danielle said...

Charm,
Your web site is amazing! It is clear that you not only took the time to attend the conference, but you put A LOT of work into your web site. I feel badly that you guys were so rushed toward the end of your presentation. I feel like you two could have presented for the whole two and a half hours! It's nice that we all have access to your information because of the public web site you used instead of PowerPoint. Thanks for sharing what you learned with us. Good Job!

Dawn Larson said...

Charm,

You and Tracie did a great job. I think if we had known that everyone at the end would be rushed to finish their projects, it would have benefited you to show highlights of your webpage, such as the videos. With the time you had, you did a great job.

Maybe next year you'll join Chrissy and me and ... for the NYSEC conference in NYC!

Dawn